The following comments are intended to lend understanding to the development of the budgets included in the Facilities Master Plan and what steps should be taken beyond this study as the District continues planning for future facilities.
Project budgets have been developed for each school site and District support site based on program and campus needs identified by the District and school site educational partner groups during the Facilities Master Plan process. Each budget contains a breakdown based on the (17) scope categories with associated areas, unit costs, construction costs, and soft costs; which result in a total project cost for each campus.
The total project cost includes the total costs to construct the project with the following markups and soft costs applied to the construction unit costs. It should be noted that all total project costs outlined in the Facilities Master Plan are in 2022 dollars. Upon inception of each proposed facilities modernization or new construction project, the cost for each scope of work should be escalated to the anticipated mid-point of construction as a project scope and schedule are identified in consultation with District staff and the Board of Education.
Master Plan Cost Summary
The following outlines the master plan and school site costs for each of the (9) existing educational facilities and line items for district support sites. These total costs represent the entire need identified for each school site based on the Facility Condition Assessments and input during the master planning process from the Steering Committee, the Facilities Master Plan Committee, and the individual School Site Committees.
The budgets developed for this Facilities Master Plan include construction costs and soft costs for the scope of work identified in this study, based on information known by the District, LPA, and cost estimating consultant, HL Construction Management at this time and have been adjusted to reflect construction costs within the Silicon Valley.
The following unknowns were not included in the cost estimate:
- Utility and City connection fees, off-site improvements, traffic signals or re-striping of City streets is not included in these budgets. These requirements and costs are subject to change regularly by the City or utility companies, and are best identified early in project development.
- No land acquisition costs have been included in these budgets, and should be considered separately.
- No hazardous materials surveys, asbestos or lead paint abatement or monitoring costs are included in these budgets for renovation work on existing buildings. Also not included are any surveys for removal of contaminated or unsuitable soils on existing or new sites.
- Phasing and interim housing/facility costs are not included in these budgets. These costs should be determined once an implementation plan is developed, including a project schedule and phasing plan for the individual projects.
Rather than representing costs as one large total sum, the total FMP need was broken into (17) project scope categories that would be the foundation for the work proposed at each school site, aligning with the Learning Space Design Standards in the Vision section of the FMP. This organization serves as a foundation for each conceptual master plan design and ensures parity between educational and support sites in the District while serving as a tool for prioritization as funds become available.
17 project scope categories were developed to help define the work proposed at each site:
- Site-Wide Deferred Maintenance
- Classrooms: Modernize and Reconfigure
- Classrooms: New Construction
- Science, Arts, and Electives
- Multi-Purpose Room and Food Service
- Student Support and Counseling Spaces
- Administration and Staff Support
- Physical Education Facilities
- Building Systems: Toilets and Power Access
- Site Utilities
- Safety and Security
- Campus Arrival: Parking, Drop-Off, and Entry Plaza
- Outdoor Learning Environments and Quads
- Exterior Play Spaces and Hardcourts
- Flexible Furniture
- Technology Infrastructure and Equipment